Skip to main content
©S.BUGNON - Montpezat-sous-Bauzon - Le Calvaire ©S.BUGNON ©S.BUGNON - Montpezat-sous-Bauzon - Le Calvaire ©S.BUGNON
©OTASV - Calvaire ©OTASV - Calvaire

Calvary

Opening hours: Du 01/01 au 31/12

Built in 1691 by Capuchin missionaries. Very impressive processions walked the route marked out by the 29 stations. This tradition was abandoned around 1920.

More information

A first calvary made of wooden crosses was erected on this site in 1691 by Capuchin missionaries, the crosses were replaced from 1718 by masonry stations which each included a niche in which was placed a painting representing each mystery of the Passion.

Very impressive processions, especially Good Friday, with the participation of brotherhoods of penitents of Montpezat (confraternity of the Blessed Sacrament and White Penitents or Gonfalons, Brotherhood of the Cordon), walked the route marked out by the 29 stations leaving the Pourtalas, bypassing the City Lower, returning to the church and going back to the chapel St-Roch at the top of Calvary. This tradition was abandoned around 1920 and some stations disappeared or fell in ruins. Those that survive were restored in the 1970s.

Ouvertures

All year round, daily.

Calvary

Calvary
07560 Montpezat-sous-Bauzon
France

The nearest tourist office

ARDÈCHE EVENTS

The Grotte Chauvet 2 Ardeche

OthersSites et monuments historiques

Located at: Montpezat-sous-Bauzon
Notre-Dame de Prévenchères church
Located at: Montpezat-sous-Bauzon
Saint-Roch Chapel
Located at: Montpezat-sous-Bauzon
Church of Montpezat-sous-Bauzon
Located at: Thueyts
Saint Roch Chapel
Located at: Thueyts
Saint Jean-Baptiste church
Located at: Saint-Pierre-de-Colombier
Saint-Pierre-de-Colombier church
Located at: Saint-Pierre-de-Colombier
The Virgin's statue
Located at: Burzet
Calvary
Located at: Burzet
Saint André church
Located at: Burzet
The medieval district of Burzet